[TenTec] Orion Roofing Filter Cut In

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Roofing Filter Cut In
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:42:10 EDT
I am confused by the scheme used to automatically cut in the Orion roofing
filters.

Why does the filter not cut in until the DSP bandwidth is substantially less
than the filter?

For example, the 2.4 filter doesn't switch in until the DSP is at 1.990.

The 1.8 doesn't engage until the DSP is at 1.400  This is way too narrow for
SSB - thus there is no effective roofing filter for narrow SSB and one could
argue this roofing filter is useless for SSB.  Yes, I know you can set the
passband for +150 and still be able to decipher SSB at that narrow a DSP
setting,
but speech is very difficult to understand.

The 1.0 comes in at .740  Is this one of the reasons some have switched out
the 1.0 in favor of the INRAD 600 in this position?

The 500 is at 350.  I don't have the 250 so I can't comment on that one.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the roofing filter match the DSP?

Would it make sense to have the roofing filter kick in "early" as the INRAD
600 does when placed in the 1.0 position?

Radio k4ia
"Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA