Re: [TenTec] NAR filter in Omni VI

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] NAR filter in Omni VI
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:55:16 -0400
Carl Moreschi wrote:

I used to run two 250 hertz filters in my Omni V. It worked very well.
With PBT, you can get the effective passband as narrow as you want this way.
This helps the signal to noise ratio for very weak signal enhancement.

Wow - yes that would be nice - I think the thing I like the most about the Omni so far is the ability to pull out the weak stations just a few Hz away from someone running the legal limit - really nice.

Any thoughts about the 250Hz filter attenuation I'm experiencing (detailed in my previous message on this thread)? Is this normal? It seems like the signal truly is weaker with the 250Hz filter in place vs. the 500Hz filter - testing this using MixW's waterfall does show a darker blue color with the 250Hz filter instead of the 500Hz filter.