Re: [TenTec] DSP in CW transmit?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] DSP in CW transmit?
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:28:03 -1000
Tom,

I agree with you on a lot of the points you have made. I am sure you will get a lot of responses from people calling you "backward" or saying that if we all had your attitude we would be still be using spark. Anyway I agree that a lot of the "enhancements" using digital techniques are not providing real performance improvents so much as they are creating bells and whistles that sell to many who don't really use the real performance capabilities of a high end rig.

Building a simple sine wave generator may not be quite as simple as you think. When it needs to be keyed at various rates, have the proper rise and decay times, have a stable frequency and a low harmonic content (a sine way and not a raspy square wave) it really does get to be more than trivial. It might be something you could acheive using hand selected components, but on a production line to get every one to come out right, it might require a more complicated design.

These difficulties with analog designs are part of the driving force that makes digital techniques attractive. Even before radios started using DSP, there were digital techniques creeping into the design to help get better consistancy without having to use more expensive selected parts. That is why radios from the eighties and nineties have DIP switch selectable BFO fine adustment. Instead of having every SSB tx IF filter exactly identical, which would be very expensive, the carrier frequencies are fine tuned to match the filter, and then corrections are made in the other oscillator frequencies to make the frequency calibration work out correctly. You can only do this with a fairly complex PLL system. You end up with more phase noise. And you can turn out a bunch of radios from a production line cheaper than if you had to throw away out of spec filters. Tradeoffs are made.

DE N6KB

Guess they didn't know
how to build a simple sine wave generator? Or was  it cheaper to just use
DSP and let CW performance drop?

Tom - W4BQF

----- Original Message ----- From: <K4IA@aol.com> To: <tentec@contesting.com> Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 8:09 AM Subject: Re: [TenTec] DSP in CW transmit?

I don't understand what DSP has to do with transmitting a CW signal. I

am

not arguing "it ain't so" but could someone explain what is happening

here?

k4ia
Craig  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA