[TenTec] DSP in CW transmit?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] DSP in CW transmit?
From: Lee Crocker <w9oy@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:56:30 -0700 (PDT)
Steve,

I'm not sure I understand your response.  All these
radios work some manner of "QSK" just fine up to about
40-60 wpm.  So the guy who likes to work 40wpm code is
not really part of the argument.  The issue is what is
happening beyond this range, when the DSP speed is
encroaching on the available space between carrier
bursts.

If you "NEED" QSK beyond the present design critera
then something has to go, either the DSP in favor of
the old analogue methodology, or a new manner of
application of DSP technology, as I said probably
involvolving parallel processing of the signals.  My
point is that in the present generation of hardware we
are not likely to see effective 100wpm QSK no matter
what "firmware" version comes along.  This is
precisely what Tom W4BQF was telling us when he said:

>>Yes, I think your correct. I was told that as soon
as  they generated
sidetone with DSP, their  QSK speed dropped about in
half!

Since the hardware doesn't suppport 100wpm QSK, the
question once again becomes can you then tweak the
design for an effective semi-breakin system that will
deal with 100wpm code.

By the way even if the "QSK button" is pushed, if you
can't hear between dits what you have is some manner
of semi-breakin.

I tend to agree with W9GE when he stated:

>>Many many years ago I handled a bit of traffic and
was ncs several nights a
week.  I needed, wanted and demanded qsk.  I had the
perfect qsk...a
separate rx/tx and separate rx antenna.  One just
turned down the rf gain a
bit so the rx was not overloaded. I still have that
set up available....it
is called a Johnson Valiant and the Orion receiver.
terrific combo!  Orion
is far superior to the old 2B I used when handling
tfc.     Different
strokes.  73 bob de w9ge

This is probably the gold QSK standard for a DSP radio
since the reciever processing is not interupted during
transmission.

73  W9OY