Re: [TenTec] Where do the filters go

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Where do the filters go
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:39:56 -0400

>  > N1EU wrote:
>  >  >I tend to agree with W4BQF on the 2.4Khz 10-pole Inrad
>  > as being unnecessary.  However, the 1.8Khz filter
>  > could be helpful if the rig is used for ssb
>  > contesting.
>  >

>  >          In my opinion, if you are a CW ONLY op, the only
>  > optional filter you would ever need is the Inrad 762.
>  > If you are also an SSB op, I would definitely add the
>  > 1800 filter (either the TT 218 or Inrad 761).  I used
>  > the TT 218 last October in the CQ WW SSB and would not
>  > be without it.  If you are a casual operator...no serious
>  > contesting, no heavy-duty low-band DX-ing, etc, you don't
>  > really need ANY optional roofing filters.
>  >
>  >                                          73,  Bill  W4ZV
>
>  >W4BQF wrote:
> Well, being a CW only op, I have to disagree with this just a little. My
> Orion does not have the 1.8kc filter, so today when I received my 600hz
> filter, I moved the 1kc filter into the empty 1.8kc position, put the
600hz
> fliter into the 1kc position, and kept my 500hz and 250hz installed.
> (Running v1.369 so I can switch the filters correctly and also so the
Orion
> does not crash while I'm using my Titan 3 in the Keying loop)
>
> Tom, as IMD reduction devices, the 500 and 250 filters are worthless.
Sure
> you can use them for simple bandpass filtering, but they are FAR worse
than the
> 1800/1000/600 for reducing IMD products, which is the true purpose of
roofing
> filters.  Remember that we still have DSP filtering with filters every 10
Hz
> from 100 to 6000 Hz following the roofing filter.

Bill, I'm well aware of the 'problems' with the 500 and 250 Hz filters, but
why would a company release an unfinished product? We all know the reason
for that. And yes, they can be used as 'simple bandpass' filters, but it's
my understanding that was not the intent, and the purchasers received an
unfinished product. Yes, 'we still have DSP filtering.....' and the loud
hissy audio noise that accompanies it. My Omni 6 is so much quieter than the
Orion, its almost shameful. And we won't go into the fact that the Ten Tec
amp's will not work with the Keying Loop. Heck, I haven't even seen that on
the 'we're working on it' agenda.

>  >I then used my Elecraft wide band noise generator and watched, using
> Spetragram, as I switched the filters. One thing that showed me was how
far
> off I had my 500hz and 250hz filters adjusted. With the Orion, Spectrgram
is
> an invaluable tool when used with a  wide band noise generator. You can
SEE
> exactly what's really happening with the filters, and when you adjust BW
and
> PBT....it's amazing how much your ear lies to you!! hihi.
>
> You don't need Spectrogram to properly center the 500 and 250 filters.  A
> simple signal generator plus Orion's internal 6 dB attenuator will do it
> nicely.  However, to really understand the capability of Orion,
Spectrogram
> really does add some new insights...such as the one I recently had
regarding
> using PBT to shift the 600 Hz roofing filter +/- 300 Hz.  This is truly
> powerful and a capability that NO other radio has including the
IC-7800/756,
> FT-1000, and Omni families.  Using this properly, it should be possible
> to even further improve the 600 Hz filter's IMD rejection capability for
> extremely close interfering signals.

Well, with the Elcraft signal generator at 7.044 MHz, you sure can get those
filter 'close', that's for sure. But with the wideband noise generator and
Spectragram, you can put the filters exactly centered on you offset
(sidetone) frequency and determine their 6dB bandwidth, and observe when
some of the roofing filters do not switch. Both are good, my first
'centering' try was by using my Omni 6 into a dummy load, as a signal
generator and even that was pretty close. Just a users choice I guess.

> I hope you get your QSK problems solved in Omni and Orion.  It may be that
> Ten-Tec is simply recognizing that >40 WPM QSK is an extremely small
segment
> of the total market.  I operate a lot of CW contests and never go much
over
> 36 WPM.  In fact, speeds much over 36 WPM are counter-productive in terms
> of maximizing overall rate.  It always amazes me to hear an operator like
> W0UA calling CQ at 40+ WPM, getting no answers and then continuing to call
> CQ at speeds that 95% of average hams cannot copy.

Sorry, but  I disagree with you  here. It is  not 'MY' QSK problem. It would
be my QSK problem if I was the only person to have purchased an Orion. The
label '>40 wpm' is misleading. Look at the jitter of a CW character at 30 or
34 wpm....better yet, don't look as it's not what you would expect from a
'world class' radio. In my opinion, the Orion has the potential to be a
world class radio........

73,

Tom - W4BQF