Re: [TenTec] The QSK of SSB

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The QSK of SSB
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:33:22 -0500
> It's all a personal choice....after all, we do call this a hobby!

Isn't that the truth :-)

> Exception is contest, wherein I doubt seriously you will hear anyone NOT
> using QSK.

Not terribly long ago there were lengthy diatribes on here by some
individuals who absolutely INSISTED that the Orion was worthless
in a CW contest station because, at the time, it didn't support a
PTT/footswitch function in CW mode (switch the amp, put the rig in
CW transmit, but not actually transmit until a key closure, yada).
After much gnashing of teeth and downright nasty email exchanges
bordering on personal threats, T-T gave in and added the function.

I'm a luddite at heart.  I'd be happy if they added the "Old Buzzard"
keying option.  In AM mode, hit PTT and, the rig keys up and locks
in transmit for 20 minutes or until the power supply is unplugged,
whichever comes first.  Or at least provide a large ceramic knife
switch in matching Orion colors for use as the "big switch" :-)

Grant/NQ5T