Re: [TenTec] The QSK of SSB

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The QSK of SSB
From: "James C. Owen, III" <k4cgy_list@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:39:27 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Al,
   As a causal CW operator I prefer QSK but don't really mind not
using it sometimes. On SSB I always (well 95% of the time) use
VOX. I run a phone net and wouldn't be without it there. During
contest I use headphone/mic and always use VOX as it leaves hands
free to log. I find I can run about 50% faster using VOX than PTT
even when using a foot switch that always seems to walk. As to
quality of VOX it really does vary. I have had many rigs over the
last 47 years, most after about 1964 had VOX. The best as far as
smoothness and easy of adjustment is the current rig-- Ten-tec
Jupiter. Number 2 is the Kenwood TS-820s followed by TT Delta
580, Corsair II and very close behind the Heathkit SB-100 and
Drake C line.  What I've considered the all time worse is the
Kenwood TS-830s--almost impossible to adjust it to work properly
and then to turn it off you have to change the sensitivity to
zero and go through set up again when you want to use it.

73 Jim K4CGY