Re: [TenTec] The QSK of QSK

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The QSK of QSK
From: Dave Heil <k8mn@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:13:55 +0000
Jim Brown wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:02:20 -0700, Michael Tope wrote:
>
> >Only 312 countries on 160 and doesn't use QSK.
>
> Anyone can work lots of DX (and score big in contests with big power
> and big antennas. This is NOT a measure of operating skill.  It takes
> skill to do it with low power and mediocre antennas.

With respect, Jim, I find that a false premise.  Not everyone can work
lots of DX or score big in a contest with QRO and large antennas.  A
poor operator with high power and large antennas is still a poor
operator.

There are some skillful ops who use low power and/or mediocre antennas.
They are to be commended.  There are some skillful ops with high power
and large antennas who make up for the low power and mediocre antennas
of others. They, too, are to be commended.

Personally, I don't use VOX and I don't like QSK.  I use a footswitch (a
husky, industrial Linemaster) as well.

Dave Heil K8MN