[TenTec] High performance radios

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] High performance radios
From: DennisKT5D@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:13:47 EDT
       I really love amateur radio. Been at it for over 35 years. Started out
as a novice and have never fallen out of love with CW. I consider myself a
casual CW DXer and contester. I also enjoy building modest things of my own
design (I am an electrical engineer). I think of myself as a decent operator
who
has never really aspired to win contests but only to enjoy the experience. In
short, I am not a high performance operator, which is okay by me. Therefore, do
I really need a high performance radio if I already have one that meets my
current needs? No. I should first hone my skills or set a new direction for
enjoying my hobby. I presently do not need nor could I effectively utilize a
high
performance radio to it's full capabilities. A new ORION (I have an OMNI 6+)
will not enhance my current satisifaction with amateur radio unless I am
willing to work to improve my abitility to match it's capability.
       It's much the same way with cameras. An old friend of mine runs a
camera shop. His advice to the serious amatuer user is to buy a camera that is
more capable than your current skill set, then work to improve your skills to
match the camera. I think that sometimes we confuse new technology with
automaticially enhanced skills.