[TenTec] re High performance radios

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] re High performance radios
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 01:03:48 +0000
<<<I really love amateur radio. Been at it for over 35 years. Started out
as a novice and have never fallen out of love with CW. I consider myself a
casual CW DXer and contester. I also enjoy building modest things of my own
design (I am an electrical engineer). I think of myself as a decent operator who
has never really aspired to win contests but only to enjoy the experience. In
short, I am not a high performance operator, which is okay by me. Therefore, do
I really need a high performance radio if I already have one that meets my
current needs? No. I should first hone my skills or set a new direction for
enjoying my hobby. I presently do not need nor could I effectively utilize a high
performance radio to it's full capabilities. A new ORION (I have an OMNI 6+)
will not enhance my current satisifaction with amateur radio unless I am
willing to work to improve my abitility to match it's capability.
It's much the same way with cameras. An old friend of mine runs a
camera shop. His advice to the serious amatuer user is to buy a camera that is
more capable than your current skill set, then work to improve your skills to
match the camera. I think that sometimes we confuse new technology with
automaticially enhanced skills. >>>

I'm not sure what prompted this but I agree with it up to a point, however there is a happy medium for rig bells and whistles.
For me, I think the 7800, the forthcoming FTdx9000 and the current Orion would be a waste, for one thing, because I have a pretty lousy antenna farm, and mating that with one of these rigs would be like buying a new Lamborgini and keeping it in a car port. As for operating skills, I have never bought the idea that one must spend years honing skills with no-frills barefoot rigs before it's okay to trade up. I don't have the t.o.l. by any means but what i have isn't at the low end either. I probably use 10% of the things my gear has to offer, but there are some things you get with a $2000 rig that are just better no matter what operating you do. Better sounding audio. More dedicated knobs; less multi-function knobs controlled by a menu just to name two things. You never know when you are gg to become a SK. Could be tonight or next year or....? Why spend your years as a ham without something better if you can afford it? So, assuming you are where you want to be with antennas etc., go ahead and treat yourself to a new rig, or amp, or whatever. It doesn't have to be expensive, or even new as in recently manufactured, just new to you. This hobby is basically the only thing I blow my spare change on. After all the unavoidable expenses, charity etc. if I could afford a 7800 and I wanted one, I'd get one whether I'm good enough for it or not. I'd probably use it to do nothing other than ragchew on 40 and 75 phone, and love every minute.

73,
rob/k5uj