[TenTec] Whatever happened? Still Alive

To: malcolm@mfluendy.freeserve.co.uk, tentec@contesting.com,jupiter538@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [TenTec] Whatever happened? Still Alive
From: N0KHQ@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:18:05 EDT
Hello Malcolm,

The IF gain adjustment on the Jupiter is alive and well. It is true that TT
does not endorse nor recommend that the IF Gain control pot be tampered with.
However, those of us that have made the adjustment have enjoyed "near FM"
quality reception on all bands. This is accomplished by proper adjustment of
the
Bandwidth / RF Gain / ATTN controls. If need be, the folks at Elecraft sells a
crystal oscillator (Model XG-1 - cost $39.00) that will allow you to readjust
the IF Gain pot back to its original setting.

In my opinion, if Ten-Tec is not going to release periodic software updates /
enhancements for the Jupiter or any other of their fine SDR products at a
reasonable cost to the consumer, then they should consider selling those rights
(source code) to a vendor that has the technical expertise to carry on the
tradition. I, for one, have no problem with paying TT or anyone else a
reasonable
fee for SDR updates on products that are near or at their product life cycle.

Over the past 2 years, many of us SDR owners have submitted to TT (via email)
enhancements and changes that we would like to see incorporated into Jupiter,
but because of the push to get the Orion as close to perfect as possible,
those requests have, and understandably so, been placed on the back shelf.

It is my understanding that Orion ver. 1.372 may be released sometime this
month. Being an Orion owner I always look forward to the updates. On the other
hand, being a Jupiter owner also, I am a little disappointed at TT's
carelessness in the handling of such a new product as the Jupiter. The Jupiter
is still
the best bang for the buck and probably will be for many years. No other rig
on the market today offers the features and flexibility, in its price range,
that the Jupiter offers.

So, there ya go Malcolm, you asked a question and I've tried to answer it.

Have a good day.

73
John / N0KHQ / St. Louis

Always on 18.130

Antennas:

You can build 'em better than you can buy 'em
Please visit the sites below:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/
http://cebik.com/nokhq/html
http://www.ssb-audio.com/forum/