RE: [TenTec] Orion - satisfied user

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion - satisfied user
From: "George Skoubis" <george.skoubis@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:15:06 -0500
Hi,

  I'm another satisfied Orion user.  I wasn't going to add to this topic
but I operated on and off in this weekend's WAE PH contest and decided
to add my experiences.

  I run firmware version 1.371, I don't use the sweep function.

  I used a 3 element SteppIR beam at 50 feet, this is 35 feet directly
overhead of my hamshack (2nd floor).

  I ran 1500 watts on 20 and 15 meters, used a Heil HC-5 ("full range")
element and used Writelog v 10.48 and my soundcard input through the
Din8 plug on the back of the Orion as my voice keyer.

  I have the Orion hooked up to a Titan 425 through the key en/out
jacks.

  I do run the audio in and out lines through audio isolation
transformers.

  My ground system is less than optimal.  I do have 8 foot ground rods
every 16 feet and a perimeter ground (well 1/2 the house perimeter)
connected at a common entry point.  I have to run the ground up to the
second floor from there to the hamshack so that makes the ground wire
from the shack to the entry point around 15-20 feet (it has to travel
horizontally as well).

  I did not do a hard reset before the contest (my last one was when I
downloaded 1.371).  I did not have to shut the transceiver on and off at
any time during the contest.  I did not have any malfunctions
whatsoever.

  The reason I decided to post this note is that I received many reports
of "big signal", "great audio", etc. this weekend. While I did not count
how many I would estimate there were around 10-15 hams that commented.
I only made 231 contacts and this was during a contest so I feel this
was a significant number.

  I ran this same setup for a year with my Omni VI+ and can't recall
getting as many compliments during the entire year. I used the same
antenna, amp, coax, headset, computer, etc, just the rig changed...
This leads me to believe it isn't the strength of my signal that has
improved, it's the quality.

  I have also received many unsolicited comments since buying this rig
in early April.  I have also used it making CW and RTTY (FSK) contacts
and have had no "bad" signal reports.

Re the manual:
  I downloaded the manual and read it before buying the rig, I can't
really say say anything bad about the manual.

  I am a unix / IBM mainframe computer programmer so I probably read the
manuals a little differently from a lot of people. I do understand some
of the manual criticism's though.  I have had many experiences where
I've responded to our IS department's business clients with a detailed
step-by-step explanation and solution only to receive a response asking
for information contained in the email.

  I feel the studies that show different people absorb information in
different ways is really true.  Many of these clients pick up our
explanations instantly when we sit down and show them visually but
continue to have problems with our detailed explanations.  I'm not
implying that they are not intelligent just that some of them require
"show me" training. On the other hand, I would rather buy a book on a
subject such as a different programming language than go to a class (or
ideally buy a book, read it, then go to the class).

  Perhaps this is why there are widely different viewpoints on the Orion
manual.  I haven't seen the DVD or video but maybe TenTec should include
it with every new Orion.  If there are portions of the manual left
unexplained they can be added to the video.  This way both the "text"
and "visual" types of learners can be happy.

  I admit I'm not by any means a QRQ CW operator, I'm not even a CW
ragchewer.  I just try to work new DXCC countries and make contacts in
contests where club scores are counted.  I don't really notice any
difference between the Omni VI+ and the Orion running QSK (my speed is
only in the 25-28 wpm range and not the greatest at that so this is not
much of a testimonial!).  Maybe when my children move out of the house
and I spend more time on the radio and less time having fun with them my
CW skills will improve.  By then the Orion software will probably be as
good as it will ever be as my youngest is 4...

  It did take me a while to get completely comfortable with the Orion
though. I don't operate a lot in the spring or summer since our children
have many activities that time of year.  Now that the rig has been in
the shack and I've used it more I find myself making adjustments without
having to "think" about it.

  I remember when I bought my first car with the headlight dimmer switch
on the steering column instead of the floor. I hated it at first but
would probably complain if I had to drive a vehicle without a "dead
pedal" for my left foot to rest on now.  I had my Omni VI opt3 for quite
a while but wouldn't switch back now that I have the Orion...

  Of course these are my opinions, they're worth what you paid for them
and you're all entitled to your own!

73,

George / KF9YR

P.S. sorry for the long, rambling email, but I am a member of the TenTec
"cult".  (and SteppIR "cult", QRO "cult", SMC "cult", bicycle "cult",
Corvette "cult", skiing "cult", etc., etc, etc.).

---