[TenTec] FT-9000 Series

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FT-9000 Series
From: "Bernard(wtrone)" <wtrone@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:58:47 -0500
    I was looking at my new issue of QST today and noticed the full page add
for the new Yaesu FT-9000 series of transceivers.  On the surface they sure
look nice.  But, I was wondering about the first IF being at 40 MHz and the
problems that they might have with receiver performance.

    While I don't know if this ad was "vaporware" or not, it would be
interesting to see how this new Yaesu rig compares to the Orion and the IC-7800
both in technical performance and price.  It is sure difficult to beat the
Orion's price when one considers the overall performance.  And, I don't
understand why anyone would want a 400 W transceiver.  Seems like 100W and an
amplifier would be a better combination.

    Thoughts or comments?

        73,

        Bernard, WA4OEJ