[TenTec] New firmware for the Orion...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] New firmware for the Orion...
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:04:00 -0400
AC5AA wrote:
>Ten-Tec service has replied that this (voice keyer issue) is a known
'software' problem that will be addressed in the next release of the firmware.

Well...since Ten-Tec mentioned it...

"07/01/04 Version 1.372beta (not yet released)
- Massive rework of the Voice Playback System to eliminate lock-ups and crashes."

I suppose it's about time to start checking all SSB functions in preparation
for our annual foray into the CQ WW SSB. After last year's contest, I suggested
2 changes which were implemented in the November release:

1.  The delay was greatly reduced when pressing SEND X.  The previous version
had about a 1/2 second delay which was maddening slow.

2. You can HALT sending any message by pressing the same button again. This
is handy for those cases when you've just called a CQ, and then someone responds
just as you press SEND again. The previous version made you wait until the
complete stored sequence was finished.

Some folks sure seem trigger-happy to return their Orion for problems
that are being addressed. I'm not sure anyone has commented but a hearty
congrats to Scott W4PA for winning SOABHP for USA in both the CQ WW CW and ARRL
DX CW Contests (including setting the all-time USA record for the latter).
Sure a shame nobody is winning any contests with this awful rig. I suppose
it must be due to the lack of a color display, 100 wpm QSK and perfect firmware.

73, Bill W4ZV