Re: [TenTec] Extra Class Licensing

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Extra Class Licensing
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:19:21 -0500
A good point was made about how can one get a Novice license without knowing
how to make a dipole?  Well, for some years you have not been able to get a
Novice, it is history; but the point is well made all should write the
questions pools committees and ask for practical skills to be part of the
tests.  I know there were practical antenna problems on my Extra Class test.

However, there were some problems that you only look up solutions in a book,
and never rely on memory to solve, and were things you did not encounter
unless you operated a satellite tracking antenna or other specialized modes,
that many hams never face.

The exams need to go back to basics, like making an antenna, controlling
harmonics, Ohms Law for AC and DC (and RF), and basics of courteous
operating, and on air procedures.
73,
Stuart
K5KVH