RE: [TenTec] Extra Class Licensing

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Extra Class Licensing
From: "KD4GT" <csegar@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:59:03 -0400
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach
him to fish and you feed him for life."
73,
Stuart
K5KVH

And I thought it was "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach
him to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day!"

However, I truly hope that some of the 1x2's out there (and the rest of us
too ;-) that would rather complain than do something positive, really take
Stuart's message to heart. The 'Big Project' is a very great idea, IMHO, and
one that most of us could become involved in. JOTA is coming up Oct 16/17.
How many are activily going to be helping in this effort? When was the last
time you volunteered to give a presentation for a local ham club?
I will freely admit that I don't enjoy morse code. For me, it's difficult
due to a variety of factors. But if ham radio were only dits & dahs of Code
(International, Morse or American), our ranks would be very low. When April
15th of 2000 was coming up, I looked closely at the coming rules and
determined I would be either a General or Extra when the sun came up that
morning. At 12:01am I was in line with a CSCE for General in hand. It cost
nothing more to at least look at the Extra exam so I did. I did not study or
try to memorize (which I find harder than code) but the rest is history.
Prior to becoming an "Extra Lite" as some call us low code folks, I
introduced 2 more into the ham ranks, rebuilt the front end of an ICOM 551D,
built 2 TenTec kits and helped numerous Generals and above with their HF
rigs. Of course I assembled a KnightKit Star Roamer before entering high
school and did a high school project of transmitting sound on a light beam
also.
But, I'm still one of those lousey hams that can't do 20wpm and don't care
to keep trying either. But I do have 2 PowerPoint presentations on my PC to
give to ham clubs, been a member of ARRL since licensed and asked to be a TA
in the section, help maintain 2 repeaters, will be doing my 3rd JOTA event
and someday will finally finish up the 10GHz station.
Want more hams around? Get radio-active!

73 de KD4GT