Re: [TenTec] N4PY Orion Control Program Version 1.12 Released

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] N4PY Orion Control Program Version 1.12 Released
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:43:10 -0800 (PST)
I've never seen any lag here either, even with 4 N4PY
sessions running simultaneously controlling 6 Pegasus
radios, - 4 of which are sweeping (sweeping is more
CPU and serial port traffic intensive). I'm running
all of this under Windows 2000 on an AMD Athlon
XP2600/512MB with 3 video displays. The CPU usage
typically hovers in the 40-60% region. The CPU spikes
up some while tuning fast but all of the other radios
continue to sweep uniformly and steady. My older
750Mhz machine would occasionally lag a bit with this
same basic software setup, to fix it I simply
bought/built a better computer. The last thing I
wanted to do was compromise my multi radio system's
performance by using an under powered PC.

As for the CW keying in XP it is because the NT/W2K/XP
OS's are all preemptive multitasking, which is a good
thing. The down side is that programs like CW sending
routines can be interrupted by the OS handing the
processor off to another app while it is in the middle
of sending a code element, the Win9x OS's won't do
that, but then they are *far* more prone to crash the
*entire* PC if an app freezes or misbehaves otherwise.
Also I don't believe that multiple instances of Carl's
program would perform very uniformly on Win9x either.

I applaud Carl for integrating the K1EL keyer, and I
see that many of the other ham software writers are
also doing likewise, - bravo to all of them. The LPT
and RS232 ports were never meant to be used as a
semi-precision on/off switch that the computer
generated CW programs try to make them into.

Duane
N9DG