Re: [TenTec] QSK

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QSK
From: "JAMES HANLON" <knjhanlon@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:14:10 -0700
Tom wrote:

> To me, sidetone circuitry in just about every rig is designed
> completely incorrect. I think in most rigs, sidetone is generated by
> the keying pulses going TO the xmtr stages. I think it should be
> developed by the wave shape sampled in the SWR circuit. That way you
> would have a more true representation of how your own signal
> sounded. As it is now, you really have no true representation in
> sidetone, of how your signal actually sounds.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Tom - W4BQF

I'm probably hopelessly old fashioned, I still use my "boatanchors" on the
air regularly like my DX-100, Valiant, Globe King, 75A4, BC-348 and HRO-50.
My QSK system uses time-sequenced mercury-wetted relays to 1) transfer the
antenna from the receiver to the transmitter and cut the receiver gain back
to a level where I can monitor the actual transmitted signal on the
receiver, 2) turn on the transmitter oscillator, and 3) turn on the
transmitter final amplifier and the Heath SB-200 if I'm using it.  When I
let up the key, the relays release in the opposite sequence.  Mercury wetted
relays switch in under a millisecond, so it works darned well.

Jim, W8KGI