Re: [TenTec] QSK

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QSK
From: "n4lq" <n4lq@iglou.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:57:58 -0500
Tom:
I agree that the sidetone should be a true representation of the
transmitted signal however there is a delay between that and your ears
that can throw off your timing if you are using a keyer or bug. I've
even experienced it on some keyers and just a few milliseconds sidetone
delay at 30 wpm can throw off my rhythm.
I have a device here made by Gonset called the Monitone. It picks up RF
from the final amp. or antenna, rectifies then keys a sidetone
oscillator. This was made back in the 40's I believe. Maybe something
like this would be what you are after. At least it would give an
indication of the weighting.
As for this ratio subject....ICOM has poluted the minds of many hams
with their so-called weighting method and now people think ratio and
weight are the same thing. It's almost a hopeless situation.