Re: [TenTec] New Orion Firmware

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Orion Firmware
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 06:57:39 -0800 (PST)
I think we have a problem with Orion's signal
processing.  Not that it can't do wonderful things and
run circles around older rigs.

The problem is that the signal processing is not
properly documented.  I wish I had a nickle for every
"explanation" I have seen of the digital AGC system.
Now, we have a new RF gain control that has mysterious
interactions with (already mysterious) AGC, the
S-meter, etc.  Then there's the NR button, the "power"
setting, etc.  An English-language narrative simply
cannot describe the complex math operations, not that
that stops people from trying!

We have an owner's manual and programer's reference
manual that haven't been updated since ~1.367.  The
firmware release notes are cryptic, to say the least.

When you have a system that is software-driven and
full of filters and special algorithms, the only way
to properly document is to provide the algorithms for
public inspection.  It would be best to have the math,
flow charts, etc., like you were writing it up for a
professional journal.  But even publishing the bare
source code would be a big help.  Even sharing with a
non-disclosure club of users, if TT worries about
copyrights.

[A _really_ dedicated ham could disassemble the
firmware and use the schematics to do TT's work for
them.  We didn't sign any licensing agreement when we
downloaded the software.]

Not everyone is prepared to work through that kind of
detail, but enough of us are that we could get to the
bottom of lots of technical issues, and maybe help TT
make a better product.

What's to lose?

73, Martin, AA6E