RE: [TenTec] Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion
From: "Eric SENSI" <eric.sensi@skynet.be>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:57:08 +0100
Okay...

I dismantle the 706 microphone and write down on a sheet of paper the actual
wiring :

The small PCB inside the microphone is 78272 Rev B

SHIELD => not connected but I can see a 0 ohm resistance connected on the
other side, so this connection is simply connected to the circuit board.
MIC => goes to PIN 1 (yellow)
GND => goes to PIN 2 (1 black wire goose neck, 1 black wire base of mic, 1
wire "copper shield" [like David ! HI]
PTT => goes to PIN 3 (black)
POL V => goes to PIN 4 (red)

In this case it seems that PIN 2 IS NOT connected to the chassis of the
Orion.

When I'm doing this - take a small wire, solder it to the PIN 2 and then
connect this wire to the round threaded locker ring, the Orion is shaking
the nerves of everything here, the PSU, the SGC Tuner, the audio etc ! it's
Christmas before christmas here. It is even worse than before so I removed
this connection immediately.

Once you key the PTT, you can hear the "buuuuuzzzzzzz" on each band, on
every frequency without talking into the mic, even with the power dropped to
10 to 20w !

This will close the 706 mic chapter for me.

Regards, Eric.