Re: [TenTec] Mic hook-up to Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Mic hook-up to Orion
From: Mark Erbaugh <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:58:41 -0500
> For those that may not have seen a post by Paul Clinton with TT, I'll  repost
> it here for your use.
>
> Orion Mic Wiring (Later Versions -around June of this year I believe, could
> be a little earlier)
>
> Orion Mic connector:
> Pin # 1 = Mic Send +
> Pin # 2 = Mic Return -
> Shield to mic connector through to the Mic body (or Pin # 1 if your using
> XLR connectors)
>
> Pin # 3 = PTT
> Pin # 4 = 9+VDC
>
> Good mic cable (as sold by Heil) will have the Mic + and Mic - wrapped  in
> the shield.
>
> To verify whether you have an older version of Orion, take an Ohm Meter,  set
> to measure resistance, put one lead on the Orion Mic connector, put the
> other lead on the ground wing nut on the back of the Orion........you should
> read
> a direct short........no resistance whatsoever. Older versions of the Orion
> had you using Pin # 2 as ground as shown in the operations manual.
>
> Hope this helps a few

Interesting post...

I checked my Orion.  I have zero ohms resistance between the mic
connector shield and the ground lug - so it sounds like this is the
newer version.

However, I just checked my mic cable. I am using a Heil Goldline (not
Pro), with a cable wired up originally for my Pegasus.  My PTT is
connected between pins 2 and 3. There is no connection to the connector
shield.

I've been using this setup since I got the Orion (summer 2004), and have
not had reports of RF in my signal, even though I run about 400 - 500
watts (Heathkit SB220) to a Carolina Windom 160 antenna - granted, the
closest the antenna is to the shack is over 100 feet.  Should I go ahead
an modify my mic cable to use the connector for the PTT ground, or if I
don't have a problem, should I just leave well enough alone?

I did notice that the Heil footswitch that I use for PTT switching has
about 2.8 ohms resistance so I don't have a dead short to ground when
I'm transmitting.  I also measured the resistance between mic connector
pin 2 and the shield connector (on the Orion, with the mic unplugged,
and the Orion turned off) at around 13 ohms.

73,
Mark