RE: [TenTec] Orion Mic Woes - Sounds like RFI but Wasn't

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion Mic Woes - Sounds like RFI but Wasn't
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:55:43 -0600
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:30:12 -0500, Tom Wagner wrote:

>The
>Orion really, really does not like pin 2 to
>be grounded. (In the Heil setup, pin 1 is the
>mic lead center conductor and pin 2 is
>the shield.) This was the cause of the
>oscillation/instability.

Apparently Heil has never heard of the IEC and AES standards for wiring of XL
connectors used for audio. These are international standards. The lowest
numbered
pin is ALWAYS the shield. Next one or two contacts are audio.  These are not
new
standards -- they have been in existence for more than 50 years.  There were
two
different standards for whether pin 2 or pin 3 was positive polarity with
respect to
the other. That difference was resolved about 10 years ago. But pin 1 has
ALWAYS
been the shield contact, and 2 and/or 3 have always carried audio.  When there
are
control circuits, those circuits should be on the higher number contacts.

BTW -- I'm a member of the AES Standards Committee Working Group that
maintains these standards.