Re: [TenTec] Paragon memories

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon memories
From: Jim Bull <ke3nk@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:54:37 -0500
Both of my Paragons have the rechargeable battery mod and I use a 9 Volt
Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeable battery. Works good-lasts a long time.
On the radios with the recharging mod, there is a "constant" 13+ volts feeding the rechargeable battery. If you use a standard 9 volt (non-rechargable), it will drain in just a few days and will actually swell/explode if the radio has the recharging circuit. The one thing that I have found is that the 961/962 power supply must remain plugged into the AC circuit (need not be turned on) to continue to keep the battery up to correct voltage.

Regarding the Giehl Chip, it is still available:

http://home.fuse.net/jg/Chips/ParagonChip.html

You will just need to tell Jack what TT ROM chip is currently in the radio, i.e., 3.8/4.0/etc.

73's

Jim/Ke3nK
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Phil Chambley, Sr. wrote:

A fully charged battery, or even a brand new one, will only last four or
five days.  The problem is that the mother board just draws too much
current.

You could put a 12 volt wall wart with a diode in series, in parallel with
the 13.8 DC to the rig and leave it on all the time.  I did this on mine for
a while and it worked OK.  I mostly use the Paragon II lately.

I think the Giehl chip is still available for the original Paragon.  Jack's
call is WB8BFS.

73
Phil Chambley, Sr.
K4DPK