Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 sensitivity

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 sensitivity
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:22:18 -0600
I also moved from an IC-765 to the Omni VI+ back in 1997.  I found the
identical scenario regarding hearing weak signals near strong ones, but
my 765 had *significantly* more IF-chain hiss than the Omni did.  The VI+
was considerably quieter, and my ears were thankful for the seven years I
owned the VI+.  I'm not sure what is the difference between our
experiences.  I can say my 765 had such loud noise that I was one of the
first of my friends to  become very literate about and active with audio
DSP's.  It was required for the 765, especially if one spent much time
contesting or DXing with it.

        73, Duane

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:18:50 EST DennisKT5D@aol.com writes:
>    I had an Icom-765 for awhile which sported a very good receiver
> comlete
> with all the filters for cw work. It had the PBT and IF shift mods
> done as well.
> I sat it down beside the Omni 6+ and did some testing. Ambient noise
> level on
> both was almost identical with perhaps the edge to the 765. At the
> time the
> 765 was matching up with some plans I had for reconfiguring the
> shack so I was
> about to decide to sell the Omni 6+. Then the CQ WW CW DX contest
> came along.
> After A/B comparison during the contest, I abruptly changed my mind
> about
> reconfiguring the shack and selling the Omni.
>    What I discovered was this. I could tune between two strong US
> stations a
> couple of kHz's apart with the Omni and copy a weak DX station, 3 to
> 4
> s-units, easily.  Switching to the 765, I absolutely could not hear
> the weak DX
> station. All I heard was an elevated noise floor due to the close in
> strong US
> stations. Clearly, to my ears the Omni is the superior contest rig
> of the two. The
> 765 could hear as well as the Omni in non-contest conditions so
> sensitivity
> was not an issue. Both radios exhibited the high pitched hiss on
> white noise
> but again, the 765 wasn't quite as bad as the Omni. The selectivity
> was what
> really separated the two radios in contest performance.
>    If your radio doesn't seem to be as sensitivity as it should be
> perhaps
> there is a problem with it. The Omni's reputation is well earned
> here and the
> 765 is gone.

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas