[TenTec] Receiver performance

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Receiver performance
From: eqtc@xs4all.nl
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:30:03 +0100 (CET)
Hi Ed and others,

I have been using a Paragon I for 12 years, especially as an IF to 144 MHz
EME/MS. All I can say is that its sensitivity is superb! But that is what
my ears say...
If you want to make it objective, we could watch for instance the MDS
(Minimum Descerneable Signal) values or the noise-floor. The Paragon I has
a noise floor of -133 dB (specified..) and the Omni VI+ -135 dB. By the
way, the Orion and the TS930S are also at -135 dB...

As we see, on average these values dont differ too much and can not be of
that much importance to hearing weak signals or not.
On a crowded band the dynamic range at close distances (I think 2 KHz for
CW and 5 KHz for SSB) is of much more significant importance! I always
have the impression that the differences we observe comparing receivers
have much more to do with that and with "desence" due to overload of
frontends mixers, postmixerstages and filters..

Have a look at following website: http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
If we observe the close-in dynamic range there, we find the ranking that
we also notice in practice: number one is the Orion, with roofing filters!
Surprising number 2 is the Drake R4C, with roofing filters. I have one
with the 600 Hz Sherwood filter and I must say it is really amazing!
Both the Omni VI+ and the Elecraft K2 are in top 10 and thats what we also
hear from users.
I have not seen much values of the close in DR of the Paragon I and II,
but I would be very interested to know!
Maybe that information helps in selling my Paragon I, because it is still
here hi! Amazing nobody wants it...

Best 73 and happy holidays!

Dick/PA2DW

Rigs:
Elecraft K2
Drake R4C with Sherwood roofing filter
Drake TR7/R7a/L75
TT Paragon I/238 tuner FOR SALE (AS COMBINATION)!!