Re: [TenTec] jackpot, argo 509 info!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] jackpot, argo 509 info!
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:51:59 +0200 (IST)
Clark,

> Merry Christmas!  I found the old 509 files!  I have several articles
> with "lost info" regarding that rig, many really good mods and good
> insights into making that rig work very well.

While I would like to keep mine looking as close to original as possible
(the 405 has a new antenna connector) I'd also love to see your files.

I found the source of the 3n211 mod (at least to me). It was in an old
Worldradio article that was included in the docs with my 509. Good article,
but it advocating cutting holes replacing connectors.

I'm not a prusit, (I can hear the cringing now) I have no objection to
performance mods that don't affect the appearance. My object would be to
make it a better Argonaut 509, not a modern top of the line rig, in an old
box.

To me it has a personality and a history and I'd like to preserve them.
Think of it more as sending it to the gym as opposed to the plastic surgeon.

With that said, would it be possible to put the files out on a web page
or FTP site? I'm sure that there are lots of people who would want to see
them.

Note to Ten-Tec: Maybe you could commission an "Argonaut Bible" consisting
of (parts of) the manuals, the known mods, etc. My personal favorite would
be a vintage tentec buyer's guide, sort of a compilation of the operating
section of the manuals, and other usefull info for the guy wanting to buy
a used rig and having no clue of which one to buy. The book would concentrate
more on the "look and feel" than the specs.

Thanks,

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838