[TenTec] IMD Measurements - Yaesu/Inrad vs Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] IMD Measurements - Yaesu/Inrad vs Orion
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:17:01 -0500
AA4NU wrote:
>On the other hand ... folks like W8JI have provided us with solutions
that make the click issue go away ... Tom's site mentions that with the
change, the MP series now becomes one of the cleanest rigs out there.

        Agreed, but in over 15 years, why didn't Yaesu simply make a design
change?  TQC means you correct the process to remove defects based upon
user feedback.  The issue was certainly not a cost issue to implement
in production.  It was a customer non-responsiveness issue.  That is a
HUGE contrast to Ten-Tec in my opinion.  When was the last time you
communicated directly with engineers at Yaesu about anything?  The best
I ever got from their marketing reps about clicks was "What problem?"

>Balance that with the posts on here, saying a 0.01 cap needs to be
added for the Orion to work properly on SSB ... or that the Orion
also clicks on CW if the menu parameters are not set correct and,
... well ... now who is the supplier who let what get out of the door?

        Don't believe everything you read on this reflector.  My Orion
works perfectly on SSB without any modifications using my standard
Heil Pro-Set.  I also don't have RF problems running 1500 watts, can
hear weak signals quite well and seem to do fairly well in contests
(both modes) and low-band DX-ing, which was my main reason for buying
an Orion.

        BTW, if any of you would like to try a weak signal receiving test,
tune to 3579.6 tonight and listen for N2XE/B north of NYC running 500
microwatts (half a milliwatt) to a dipole up 50'.  He's momentarily off
but should be on again shortly.  If you hear him, copy the 4 letter code
word which is repeated in his message 3 times after MSG.  If you do,
send the codeword to n2xe@arrl.net with a signal report and a description
of your station.

73, Bill W4ZV