Re: [TenTec] IMD Measurements - Yaesu/Inrad vs Orion

To: eric.sensi@skynet.be, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] IMD Measurements - Yaesu/Inrad vs Orion
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:55:58 -1000

I tried this with a friend of mine this morning, he didn't notice anything
strange in the CW enveloppe. Now, he was listening to me with an SGC 2020
with ADSP2 and a Yaesu FT-7B ! :-) Of course these rigs are not in the same
class as the MArk V, so I can't tell exactly.

A sophisticated rig is not necessary, or even desirable for listening to the quality of a transmitted signal. The most basic receiver, with the monitored signal attenuated sufficiently, and no AGC, is the best. A direct conversion receiver using a real clean local oscillator and no amplifiers or filters, except in audio stages, is the way to listen for TX signal quality locally.