RE: [TenTec] Decision Made

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Decision Made
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 14:42:45 -0800
Todd and everyone else living in the states - be they friend or foe of
ORION:

Here in Europe the band conditions are different than those in the states.
For one, we have hundreds of high-powered shortwave broadcast stations.
These cause a real ruckus in the front-ends of our radios when trying to
work 40m at night.
And then we have much smaller ham bands on the low bands:
- 3.5 to 3.8 MHz
- 7.0 to 7.1 MHz

The smaller bands results in much worse QRM, especially on weekends or
during contests.

Almost all rigs on the market require some kind of sensitivity reduction in
order to be able to function on 40m here in the evenings.  Some use
attenuation or "AIP" or both.  Once you've turned this stuff on, you have
reduced the sensitivity of your rig such that an S1 or S2 DX station may not
be heard.

The Orion is the first rig I've seen or used which not only does not require
any reduction - you can even turn the preamp on and you still don't get the
intermod the others get when not using some form of reduction.

The stateside conditions during a contest probably approximate the garbage
we get daily here in Europe.  If you run an A/B comparison in the states in
a non-contest situation, you may not distinguish a lot of difference.
During contests you will.  We can every day.

Your point on hi-fi SSB is valid and if that's a top criteria, it's
understandable why you dumped the VI.  Of course the Orion has hi-fi
capabilities too (once you hook the proper mic to it).

Personally I wouldn't waste 1 cent on a sweep and I only need color on a TV,
not on a radio.  But I do need to hear weak signals in the presence of
strong QRM and strong shortwave broadcast stations.  The Orion does this
significantly better than anything else currently on the market, with the K2
probably being the closest thing to it.

Now many people may be thinking "that's your problem in Europe".  Well as I
stated, during contests, your conditions worsen and then it's your problem
too.

I'm one of the fortunate ones that uses his/her Orion in ways that don't
seem to be bothered by all of these "glitches" some people are having.  CW
worked "out of the box" and I had to change my mic cable on a 35 year old
mic to get the SSB clean.

Todd, bring your radio over here, put it in my shack on my antenna and we'll
run A/B tests against the Orion (40m, evenings, any day of the week).  I
guarantee you you'll throw rocks at your 570!

73
Rick