Re: [TenTec] Paragon PLL OUT OF LOCK

To: kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon PLL OUT OF LOCK
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:17:37 -0800
Well looks like the soldering approach is not going to work. Before you jump all over me please note that I am very good at that sort of thing. I even went so far as to remove the old solder, etc. I've traced out really all I can do with my limited test equipment. So guess it is to Ten-Tec. I suppose they will want me to send the entire transceiver and not just the two boards?

Sad way to start the new year. :(

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Jerry, KG6TT

Jerry Volpe wrote:

Well the dreaded PLL OUT OF LOCK fault has struck!

My Google search showed three recomendations.

1) See if the small variable resistor is out of adjustment on the Major Loop Board. This did not work.

2. Resolder ALL the solder trace connections on the Minor and Major Loop boards. It was recommeded that I remove the existing solder first. Many hours later, after careful comparisons to board image in manual (I had to scan it, enlarge it and flip it to see from the back). Checking redoing, checking and redoing.... No go.

3) Send it to Ten-Tec. Ouch, In 30 plus years of owning Ten-Tec equipment I've always been able to fix it myself. :(

The problem is on all frequency ranges.

This Paragon has the original Major Loop board.

Any constructive suggestions?

Jerry, KG6TT