RE: [TenTec] Orion RX antenna input

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion RX antenna input
From: "Chuck (Jack) Hawley" <c-hawley@uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:10:24 -0600
I have had a problem occur when using an loop receiving antenna on the aux
receive antenna input when transmitting on the main dipole (with a Yeasu
990). I had to put crossed diodes on the aux input. I think you will need
something like this. I used 1N916 diodes...approx four of them, two one way
and two the other across the center conductor to shield...right at the input
of the receiver. Actually, I put them inside the shell of the male connector
on the receive coax. Experience with NMR receivers has shown me that a
simple passive ckt of two to four crossed diodes is hard to beat for
simplicity and pretty effective. I measured about 5 vpp of rf at 75M with
this setup at the receive aux input. Down from about 25 vpp without the
diodes. That was enough of an improvement to protect the 990 from having
it's ALC disabled which was happening with the 25vpp.
I am interested to hear other's experiences with this issue...and on the
Orion.
Chuck, KE9UW