Re: [TenTec] Omni VI roofing filter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI roofing filter
From: "Chuck Guenther" <ni0c@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:03:00 -0600
I've completed installing the CW model in my Omni VI (not VI+).  I've got it
setup to kick in along with an Inrad 753 400 Hz CW filter whenever the NAR
switch is engaged.  The roofing filter is designed for a CW offset of 700
Hz, and works fine with the slightly different offset (600 Hz) of the 753.
I suspect that Inrad chose 700 Hz as a compromise offset so that it would
work equally well with their 600 Hz offset filter and the standard Ten Tec
750 Hz offset.

Before I buttoned up the rig, I switched the filters in and out with the DIP
switch, and noted additional selectivity provided by the roofing filter,
thereby verifying that it works.  So far, in operation on the air, I've
noticed a much bigger difference than before when I engage the NAR switch,
even with the 250 Hz 6.3 MHz filter on. I also get less overload from my two
very close neighbors when they are in the same pileup as me.

This is a "pre-production" version of the roofing filter purchased from
Inrad just before year's end.  They are still working out the detailed
instructions-- there were some differences I noted between my Omni VI and
the VI+ instructions.

73 de Chuck  NI0C