Re: [TenTec] Looking backward? The search for the 'Holy Ham Grail!'

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Looking backward? The search for the 'Holy Ham Grail!'
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 05:50:26 -0800
"Looking backward...."

Speaking as a former RF engineer with an eye toward the future but a pocket book firmly planted in today..... and having invested in and subsequently divested myself from SDR technology for the moment... here are my thoughts/opinions:

If you want excellent bandpass characteristics with steep skirts and the best ultimate rejection outside the desired bandpass then analog filtering is still the best if not the only answer. When the day comes that DSP derived filters can operate at 45, 9 or even 6 MHz then the 'new technology' will have great potential advantages. For now, if you want the benefits of up-front roofing bandpass optimization then you are simply must use analog.... even in the obsenely expensive new round of Jap radios.

Now as far as whether or not it makes sense to add additional 'poles' of crystal filtering in front of Ten-Tec's own up 9 MHz 1st filters, well that may be somewhat like the quest for the "Holy ham grail!' We simply can never get guaranteed single-signal reception in any mode under any conditions with today's technologies.... analog or digital.... but that doesn't mean we shouldn't see how close we can get to it. Trading in an Omni-V or VI for an Orion or an IC-7800 may move you slightly more in the 'grail's' direction but in my opinion at a rather significant re-investment for a rather insignificant move (ignoring comfort/wiz-bang features)... The Omni series transceivers are great performers. On the other hand, adding 8 or more poles of well designed filtering before existing filtering has the potential to make an equal or perhaps better shift towards that grail at a rather modest investment. Only time and testimonials will tell if INRAD's rootfing filter modification makes a genuine 'positive' difference that would be proportionally appreciated by most of us.... and of course there is always the question 'is my Omni really all that bad without one?'

Just some random thoughts on this very interesting subject in the weeee hours of the morning.

73,
Jerald, KG6TT

John Rippey wrote:

Even as I am considering getting the new INRAD "roofing" filter setup for my OMNI VI, I can't help wondering: doesn't this improvement represent a step backward in terms of technology? Adding analog filters on top of analog filters as a compensation for shortcomings in various rigs seems to me to be an odd way of moving forward. But it sure is cheaper than buying new technology :-)

73,
John, W3ULS