Re: [TenTec] Looking backward?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Looking backward?
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 07:05:24 -0800
The roofing filter mod does not give up any modes at all. It is a simple 4 pole filter switched in/out of the line according to the NAR filter switch positions.

But the point is well taken, the original roofing filter was wide and the close-in dynamic range for CW and SSB suffered. I like to think of this mod as a "correction" for the narrower bandwidth modes, which adjusts for what used to be a "compromise" for all modes (widest bandwidth mode had to be accomodated.)

I have the mod in my OMNI VI and it is simple and appears to give me a significant advantage (I can hear it clearly) and increases my "fun" and "interest" factors. I am very willing to spend $150 - $200 on something that teaches me a whole lot more about my rig's IF chain and how it works. Then again, I also enjoy the "bragging rights" I get when I sit down with my friends who have the FT-1000D or ICOM 7800. I believe the FT-1000MP can take advantage of a similar roofing filter mod and may approach this performance (though the filters are at a much higher IF frequency, so the results may not be so dramatic and may only be at SSB bandwidths).

Anyway, its fun to be an amateur radio operator and have this discussion.

Clark
WA3JPG