Re: [TenTec] Binaural (Stereo) CW Redux!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Binaural (Stereo) CW Redux!
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:34:18 -0800

On Jan 13, 2005, at 6:39 PM, Barry N1EU wrote:

Rick, this isn't my first brush with binaural "magic". I got the latest and greatest DSP599ZX when it came out several years ago because of the binaural hype and it just didn't do much for me then or on the Orion now.

It is my understanding that "diversity" is what binaural tries to simulate. I think that the binaural methods here have all been without diversity of receiver or antenna. That may be significant.

I have used a Yaesu rig with dual receive (and I kept my OMNI VI with the opportunity of even trade, btw) and stereo headphones, using different antennas (diversity of antenna) and found my ability to "hear" down into the noise really enhanced. Kept the OMNI VI for other reasons (this was about 6 years ago, still with the OMNI).

I'd rather the dsp engineers refine their basic algorithms for demodulating weak signals in noise rather than all the NR, binaural, etc bells and whistles which I've never found a use for. I still think the Orion could do a better job with the basics of weak signal reception.

Good point. Two receivers with separate antennas fed into stereo headphones appears to be a significant enhancement to me. I haven't done the research, but it may be receive phase angle diversity that the brain can work with. It may have to do with what separate antennas we use. Anyone do much with this stuff?

Clark
WA3JPG