Re: [TenTec] N1eu Orion static Redux!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] N1eu Orion static Redux!
From: "n4lq" <n4lq@iglou.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:19:51 -0500
Lee:
You Orion owners are far to sensitive. I will "knock" any rig I please
including the ones I own (which I have done often). Yes, I own a
microchirping Omni VI! I did manage to fix that problem however by
installing the W9AC ALC mod.
As for the overactive AGC...For lack of a better term I use that to
describe and AGC that applies too much voltage, too quickly and
effectively mutes the receiver for a split second.
I know the Orion develops it's AGC in the DSP stage and I'm sure it also
has an analog loop feeding back to the IF amps. All I can tell you is, I
spent a long time trying to overcome the problem and never did.
As I said, the other rig that I noticed this on was the TS-570. Of
course it has no agc adjustments to play with.
The AGC in the OMNI VI is the best I've ever seen. Why it works so well
in QRN without any complex adjustments is not clear but it certainly is
hard to beat.
So you are amazed by all the adjustments on the Orion's AGC while I am
amazed at the AGC with no adjustments on the Omni VI. We are both
amazed. Being amazed is a good feeling. Let's leave it at that.
Steve N4LQ