Re: [TenTec] 9420 Power Supply Question

To: n9vx@myway.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 9420 Power Supply Question
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:57:27 -1000
Hi Joe,

The "Power On" pin of the four pin transceiver power connnector is pin 3. The "Power On" pin of the twelve pin amplifier power connnector is also pin number 3. When the 9420 is plugged in to AC mains, T5 gets primary power regarless of "power on" pin status. T5 and some diodes and a regulator U1 produce "+REG" a 15 volt "keep alive" power supply. The narrative description with my 9420 explains that the amplifier "power on" lead is activated by connecting "+REG", which is on pin 6 of the amplifier power connector, to "power on" pin 3. The transceiver "power on" is activated by connecting a load to this "power on" lead. The text does not say what they mean by a load, and it does not say just to ground it. I'll look at my Omni VI manual and see what it connects to pin 3.

DE N6KB

Joe wrote:

I want test my 100 amp 9420 power supply that goes with the Herc II amp with out the amp connected. If I short pin 1 and 2 on the transceiver connector, will the power supply come on? What pins would I short to turn it on using the amp 12 pin cable. Any help would be much appreciated. Joe N9VX