Re: [TenTec] 9420 Power Supply Question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 9420 Power Supply Question
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:44:22 -1000
The lables on my schematic for the 9420 show where the 3 non-ground wires of the transceiver connector go, to HI I, LO I and PWR ON. Putting a "load" (perhaps a short to ground) on the PWR ON lead would turn on Q1, and then everything that happens when the amplifier power switch connects the other PWR ON to the +REG would happen just the same. What is unclear to me is how the Omni VI wiring does this.

It looks to me like the only way to turn the 9420's 4 separate power
supplies on it to apply +13v to pin 3 of the 12-pin plug.

But that doesn't make much sense because then the Herc would always have to
be on before you could turn the Omni VI on.  Ten-Tec usually does logical
stuff so there must be some trick in how the 4-pin is wired.  Unfortunately
there's no description and the drawings are vague (showing only 1 line
between the 4-pin plug and the P.S.).

The transceiver "power on" is activated by connecting a load to this "power on" lead. The text does not say what they mean by a load, and it does not say just to ground it. I'll look at my Omni VI manual and see what it connects to pin 3.

I am not getting this. I does not help that my Omni VI manual does not have pin numbers on the DC Power Input Board schematic. I don't see how the power switch on the Omni VI can turn the 9420 on and off. It looks like just plugging in Omni VI into the 9420 would turn it on, regardless of the power switch postion. I have never tried using the 9420 to power the Omni. Never made up a cable to do it. Still I would like to understand this circuit, in case I ever want to use it that way. Anybody out there who can clarify this?

DE N6KB