RE: [TenTec] Jupiter

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Jupiter
From: Paul Henning <paul@amtelco.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:57:14 -0600
Well said Tommy, but it actually is more then that. The operator interface
is an integral part of the system and as subject to updates as any other
software based part of the system. For example there has been much nashing
of teeth over the band scope in Orion, take a look at what has been
accomplished in this are with some of the third party OI software for the
Pegasus. Why is none of this forth coming from TT?

After working with computers and software for over 35 years the terms
software, firmware, and whatever you call what is loaded into FPGAs is still
nothing more then semantics. It is the same stuff written in the same
development environments and down loaded and executed by some sort of
control processor(s). Used to be that the term firmware was used to describe
software which was loaded into a ROM device of some sort and only changeable
by physically changing the integrated circuit which contained it. Not so
anymore with the advent of eeproms and their cousins. In fact newer DSP
devices down load the code they are executing into program RAM memory from
eerom devices or they "boot" from eeprom. So the difference between firmware
and software is becoming more and more indistinct. In terms of TT usage the
term has come to mean that which TT allows you to dink with and that which
TT will not allow you to dink with.

Paul N. Henning
K9PH
Director of Research and Development