[TenTec] ORION and MixW software slow operation problem?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ORION and MixW software slow operation problem?
From: <dbp@tds.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:55:49 +0000
Hi-
  I am using my TenTec Orion with MixW 2.12 all mode software. The Orion since
Sept with upgrade to 1.372, the MixW since last March. I particularly get a
kick from clicking on a DX cluster post and have it set my rig to the correct
frequency, mode and switch to the correct antenna in about one Second. Recently
I have developed a problem:
 1. Clicking on a Cluster post  may or may not have any result, and if it does
it often takes up to 10 Seconds before it makes the change (frequency, mode
etc)on the Orion. Now I find that it will work just once, maybe twice - than no
more until I close the program and restart it.
 2. When MixW is activated, and the serial port is connected to the Orion- most
of the Orion's controls act at about 20% of their normal rate. The keyer
operates at about 5 wpm rather than 20 wpm; 10 to 20 turns of the multi knob to
increase power thru its range; tuning is reduced to about 100 Hz per revolution.
 3. When I disconnect the serial cable from the Orion it returns to normal
operation in about 7 -10 Seconds.

 - I have tried a Master reset on the Orion, twice. No change.
 -I have tried replacing the MixW".ini file. No change.
 -I have tried running the serial cable directly from rig to computer, rather
than through a switch box that goes off to another rig. No change.
 -I have checked many times to make sure the baud speeds are 57,600 8 N 1.
-I have checked to be sure no other programs are running in the background.
- I am not running the Sweep function on the Orion.
 -The computer is running Windows XP Pro ver 5.1 Service Pack 1 (build 2600).
((What ever that is.))

 It has been suggested that it may be a polling problem. Sounds real, what to
do about that?
 Any ideas greatly appreciated.

73 de Dave in NH, K1OPQ