Re: [TenTec] RE: PSK Help

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RE: PSK Help
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:24:29 -0800
From my experience running PSK there are a few issues to consider:

Audio to mic or audio in on rig (you can use either) must be clean, undistorted, without hum, or rf feedback artifacts.
- Try to keep your sound card's audio out slider away from the extremes (min or max) in order to have the least distortion and noise from the computer itself. If you can't get it somewhere in the middle 70% or so of its range and still have controllable output with the Omni's PWR and MIC controls than you should add or remove some attenuation within the rig to computer interface. Also it is best to find the balance where the Omni's MIC control can also be set somewhere away from the min or max settings.
- Be sure you have audio isolation between the sound card audio in and out and the Omni audio in and out (PTT too). Some may say they do ok without signal isolation but they are in the minority. If you don't have one they can be bought inexpensively or built easily and cheaply. Your interface should present approximately 1000 ohms (hopefully more) impedance to the audio in on the Omni. Some isolation transformers are 1:1 which gives you 600 ohms or more. However some isolation transformers are step-up/step-down and can present 8 ohms or less if inserted incorrectly.
- Use good quality shielded wire between sound card and rig.
- Good practice to include ferrite beads on interface cables. Sound card audio out to rig would be the most sensitive as you are transmitting.

Two ways to check your signal quality:
1: Best approach is to use a monitor scope. I know few hams actually have them these days but it is still the best approach.
2. Checking the IMD value of your transmitted audio on another receiver running Digipan. It only needs to be a reasonably stable receiver with audio out to a second computers audio in connection.

What to watch out for:
1. Make sure you are not running in and ALC indicated range. Keep the mic gain down just below the point where the ALC LED begins to light.
2. Do NOT use the Omni's PROC.
3. Be sure to complete the sound card calibration procedure within Digipan. This is usually a pretty simple process and only has to be done once. Your actual sound card may be operating on an internal clock that is somewhat above or below what Digipan expects as default. This can lead to your Transmit and Receive tones being somwhat removed from one another or forcing Digipan to 'hunt' more for the incoming signal each time it goes into transmit.

Watch how Digipan is locking onto stations. Does it take a few seconds or more to begin to properly decode the incoming signal? If so this can indicate that Digipan is hunting in between the time that the other station ends a transmission and you begin yours. If it is hunting on background noise your transmit tones may be significantly removed from the frequency the other station is expecting to hear them. etc.... There are a few things that you can do to minimize this....
- Insure that your audio in as shown on your waterfall or spectrum display is adjusted to the point where background noise is barely indicating. If the background noise level is too high it will cause Digipan to hunt randomly when the other station ends a transmisison (It also makes it much more difficult for Digipan to properly decode).
- Use Digipan's Frequency Lock function once you have sync'd on an incoming signal. The Frequency Lock on most PSK programs works on your transmit tones. So even if Digipan begins to hunt you will transmit exactly where the other station expects.

I can't over emphasized the issue of getting clean audio from the sound card to the rig and transmitting that audio without ALC or PROC. Some will argue the following point, but nearly 30 years of Ten-Tec usage has clearly indicated to me that Ten-Tec's are very sensitive to their proximity to strong RF fields. Even 30 watts can be strong if the antenna is close or RF is coming back into the shack via the outer shield of the transmission line... etc. I should own stock in a ferrite bead factory for all the cores I have drapped on my Ten-Tec's and the equipment that is interfaced to them. You don't need a lot of RF generated audio distortion to make a PSK output signal unreadable... and probably hardly noticeable in SSB or CW.

Hope some of this is useful.

Jerry, KG6TT