Re: Fw: [TenTec] Ten Tec Vee Beam?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: [TenTec] Ten Tec Vee Beam?
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:17:52 +0200
On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 03:59:06PM -0800, Caitlyn M. Martin wrote:

> Let me define tiny.  12-13' wide.  On a steep, steep
> hill.  House built on three levels (I have half a
> duplex) all in the height and length.  A large deck
> out back and a small backyard below it.  That's it.
>
> Also, raising the height is problematic at best.  The
> high part of the property is at the front where the
> house is.  My tall tree at the bottom of the backyard
> comes to the height of my middle story window, which
> means it's lower than the shack upstairs.

How about an end feed zep(lin) antenna as a sloper. Basicly it's
a off center doublet with the "ground" end about a meter long at the
roof of your house, sloping down to the end of the property.

For best results, replace the short end with .28 wave counterpoises. They can
be tiny wire and almost any configuration, e.g. straight, bent, loops,
verticles down the front of the house (hidden in a trellis or along a drain
pipe?), etc.

The length of the counterpoise is not critical, I've read claims that
it should be 1/4 wave not compenstaing for velovity factor, or compensating
for veloctiy factor. Somewhere I read that the optium length for copper
wire is .28 of the wavelength (not compensating for velocity factor) and
that has worked for me.

You could also make a multiturn loop for 160 meters around the celing of
your shack, which in it's own right would make a decent antenna.

You could also toss a wire out the window, connect it to a cheap antenna
tuner and tune it for maximum voltage/current thus giving you a tuned
counterpoise.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838