Re: [TenTec] Noise Blanker in Corsair

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Noise Blanker in Corsair
From: "Paul - W8KC" <w8kc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:23:20 -0500
As the person who first lovingly called the Corsair noise blanker a
"decorative knob" back in 1984, I will jump in.

The Corsair noise blanker actually does work.  It just does not seem as
effective as the NB in the Triton IV - or most other radios.  I have
actually aligned mine and watched as I was able to null an offensive noise.

That being said, the problem a large number of hams have with noise blankers
is that they do not understand what type of noise they blank.

The NB works on short width, high amplitude noise spikes in the IF, such as
those caused by a car spark plug.  They do not function on every atmospheric
noise that you hear on the bands.  It does not cut alternator whine, or act
like a DSP.

73! =paul= W8KC
Collector of Ten*Tecs and other fine plastics.
Visit the Virtual Ten*Tec Museum at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w8kc
Listen to 7.040 MHz from anywhere with Media Player v9
http://www.w8kc.com/stream.asx