Re: [TenTec] using amp to load rain gutter

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] using amp to load rain gutter
From: Ynkedragon@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:04:54 EST
In a message dated 03/23/2005 23:00:20 Eastern Standard Time,
5stones@bellsouth.net writes:

<< Would there be a problem if I ran 500 Watts into the antenna?  >>

I'd be concerned about fire, and near-field RF radiation.  (Remember, the
antenna is surrounding you and your family.)  The things we do with impunity at
the 50-100 watt level can start to bite us when we use more power.  I've used
"rain gutter" antennas with low power. Because they are so close to the house
they always seem to have low radiational efficiency.

Would you be able to use a (better) temporary antenna out in the open away
from your home?  If not, have you considered mobile or portable operation?  A
friend of mine earned the last three he needed for Honor Roll by operating
mobile from a hilltop park a couple miles from his home.

73,  Blair k3yd