[TenTec] Zero Beat

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Zero Beat
From: "Paul DeWitte K9OT" <k9ot@mhtc.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:12:25 -0600
As a sometimes contester, it is amazing the number of people that do not
seem to be able to zero beat, or even come close. You tune a bit up or down
(out of your passband) and there is a guy calling you. I usually use a 500
hz filter, and you would think that anyone could hit that wide of a space.

In chasing DX it is sometimes advantageous to call a couple hundred hertz
off of the DX freq up OR down from zero beat if he is not running split.

You still have to know where zero beat is to do this..

I have never used the spot button to do this. Just by ear, and have had good
luck. Altho since I can't hear on the other end, I may not be zero beat when
I think that I am.

Of course all of this is done using a TT rig.

73 Paul K9OT