Re: [TenTec] inrush protection

To: "Ten Tec Reflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] inrush protection
From: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:40:58 -0600
About...

"Several others thought it might indeed be beneficial to use an inrush
protection system to ease the shock to the power supply when I did turn
it on.  So I am going to amend my ways...power supply on first and then
the radio... but I am going to try the inrush protection to the power
supply and see how that fares." (etc.)

I have been using my early vintage 961 for some 25 years now, turning it
on and off virtually every day without a single failure of any kind.
Make sure you have the correct exact fuse in it (the MANUAL again!).
BTW, I'm now using it to power my Orion. In a power supply of this
rating and size, the power transformer core simply saturates momentarily
when the switch happens to be snapped on during a peak of an input
primary voltage cycle. Current is thus limited to a safe level for
rectifiers and filter capacitors. A much 'bigger' power supply is
something else again. Of course, further limiting does no harm.

73,    Roy   K6XK