Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 (Option 1) Intermittent Audio

To: <robert.dwiggins@alumni.utexas.net>,"'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 (Option 1) Intermittent Audio
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:08:05 -0400
In addition to checking the headphone connections, if you get to a complete
failure, then solving that becomes much more simple, IF you have the tools.
Of course with an o'scope, you could quickly locate where the audio
amplification stops. Lacking an o'scope, you might try taking voltage
measurements around the audio output circuits.

Also keep in mind that older Ten Tec rigs suffered from 'bad' soldering
joints and intermittent problems like this could often be fixed by
re-heating the soldering connections around the components. Fortunately,
their later gear (Omni 5 and later) had much improved soldering techniques.
But that is still worth a look to see if, around the audio output circuits,
you see some dull looking soldering. That is assuming you still have S-meter
action when you loose the audio. If your S-meter quits at the same time you
lose the audio, then the problem is probably further back in the low-level
circuits and your gonna need some test equipment or a trip back to Ten Tec!

Tommy

W4BQF