[TenTec] FCC examiner in Chicago

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FCC examiner in Chicago
From: "Ron Spencer" <ronspencer@nc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:48:15 -0400
 Not really a TenTec topic but the string started so I'll add to it. I
remember taking the train from Elmhurst, about 20 miles west of downtown
Chicago, into the city to take the exam. Made the trip with a ham friend who
was going for his Advanced. I was going for my general.

Well, not many folks there and I recall I was the only one taking the 13wpm
code test. Still sent with a paper tape through the machine. They sent a
couple manual test dits to check volume which was quite loud. I figure loud
is better than not. They start  the tape and the volume drops almost into
the noise. I can copy but just barely. All was going fine until they started
moving metal filing cabinets in the hall. Talk about QRM!!

Turn the test in and, they regret to tell me I just missed. I explain what
happened and the gentleman goes into the back office to talk to the chief
engineer. After some discussion during which I hear the chief engineer say "
But its never been done before" they come out, listen to the machine to
verify what I am saying and, give me a new test which I pass! I easily pass
the written part and its now 4:30. they ask  me if I want to take the
Advanced written test. It costs nothing more so sure! In half an hour I rush
through the test and turn it in.

They won't tell me how many I miss but I watch and count the check marks he
makes with the pencil. Missed 15 so I fail (could miss up to 13). Not too
bad for not studying for it at all. My friend, Terry, WB9GLQ,  passes the
advanced.

Fond memories.

Ron
N4XD