Re: [TenTec] Orion NR problem

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion NR problem
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:03:57 -0500
> On my Orion, using 1.372, pushing the NR button doesn't
> always turn NR on or off.  I can do so reliably with Ham
> Radio Deluxe control software and that is how I do it.  I
> also notice that there is often a lag in adjusting Cut or PBT
> or even AGC at times.

That's really strange.  Never observed that on 1.372.  Do you have your
control software sitting active on the async port, when this happens?  The
only time I've ever had a problem like this is in the dim past when I tried
to run both N4PY and the Orion front panel at the same time.

> other fixes and lose the front panel control of Threshold.  I
> also believe that the NR circuit was more effective under
> 1.371--at least the band noise seemed to drop more.

I suspect you're hearing the result of the THRESHOLD level being changed
when NR is turned on.  The idea is less to eliminate the noise (which can't
really be done perfectly, anyway) than to increase S/N ratio.

Grant/NQ5T